Find a CNA Class near you

CNA Salary In Virginia

The certified nursing assistant salary in Virginia according to was estimated to be approximately $25,000, as on January 2015. Fortunately, these figures were 1% higher than the average income of CNAs’ nationwide. The statistics of the BLS indicated that the per hour and mean annual earnings were $11.63 and $24,190 respectively (as of May 2013). In the same year, around 37,360 CNAs were employed in VA, which signifies that employment per thousand jobs was 10.29. Nevertheless, these statistics fluctuate owing to a number of factors, such as employer, experience, etc.

Yearly CNA Salary in VA on Different Percentile Brackets

The following table gives a detailed view of CNA salary in Vermont based on various percentile brackets:

Percentile BracketAnnual Wages

Information Source – The Bureau of Labor Statistics (as of May 2013)

  • Annual income of 90% CNAs was less than $31,800; 10% were compensated more than $31,800.
  • 75% of certified nurse assistants got less than $27,910; rest 25% got more than $27,910.
  • 50% of the employees were salaried less than $23,380; 50% were paid an annual pay of more than $23,380.
  • The annual wages of 25% of CNAs was below $20,260; 75% made more than $20,260.
  • The paycheck of 10% of employees was less than $17,500; remaining 90% were offered more than $17,500.

Salary as per Geographical Location

According to the, in January 2015, the cities, which provided the highest median annual salary of $33,932, include Alexandria, Annandale, Arlington, Reston and Centreville. These cities offered median monthly, weekly and hourly salary of $2,828, $653, and $16 respectively. Lynchburg was the lowest paying city with median annual, monthly, weekly, and hourly income of $27,222, $2,269, $524, and $13. The hourly salary in various cities of Virginia ranged from $13 to $16.

Name of the CityMedian Annual SalaryMedian Monthly SalaryMedian Weekly SalaryMedian Hourly Salary
Newport News$28,381$2,365$546$14
Virginia Beach$28,381$2,365$546$14

Information Source – (as of January 2015)

Average Salary of Similar Job Titles in VA

There are a number of job designations in the nursing field. The position that a certified nursing assistant holds depends on the experience and education level. In addition, the salaries of these job titles also vary considerably. For instance, in January 2015, CNA Hospice was paid $32,000, while CNA Rrmc earned $30,000. The annual salary of CNA Float Pool Riverbend, CNA Neurology Riverbend and CNA Medical Surgical was $27,000. Correctional Prison Facility CNA was paid the lowest annual income of $15,000.

Featured Nursing Schools Near You

Job TitleSalary
CNA Float Pool Riverbend$27,000
CNA Neurology Riverbend$27,000
CNA Rrmc$30,000
CNA Medical South$24,000
CNA Medical Surgical$27,000
CNA CA State Prison$23,000
CNA Submit Info Today$23,000
CNA Sign UP Today$25,000
CNA Hospice$32,000
CNA Sign UP$24,000
Skilled Nursing Facility CNA$17,000
Correctional Prison Facility CNA$15,000
Acute Care CNA$16,000
Medical Assistant Family Practice$29,000

Information Source – (as of January 2015)

Other Benefits

The extra benefits and perks that are given to the certified nursing assistants are as follows:

  • Dental and vision insurance
  • Health insurance
  • Program
  • Pension
  • Retirement plans
  • Bonus
  • Paid time off plans
  • Healthcare facilities

Job Outlook of CNAs

The employment opportunities are increasing day-by-day in the healthcare industry and CNA is becoming the most prevalent entry-level positions across the country. Looking at the national statistics for upcoming jobs in this field, an optimistic picture for future certified nursing assistants can be seen, as a rise of 21 percent is expected in the years 2012 – 2022, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.


Question 1 – How much do certified nursing assistants earn in the state of Virginia?

Answer – In VA, CNAs can expect an income of $25,000 per annum, according to

Question 2 – Since the cost of living is a bit high in VA, what job title should I target?

Answer – Like all other states, CNA Hospice is the highest paid job title with annual salary $32,000. Other top paid job titles include CNA Rrmc ($30,000), Medical Assistant Family Practice ($29,000), CNA Medical Surgical ($27,000), CNA Neurology Riverbend ($27,000), and CNA Float Pool Riverbend ($27,000).