Find a CNA Class near you

CNA Certification In Wisconsin

Planning to start a career as a CNA in Wisconsin? Well, you need to be certified and registered with the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry. This procedure requires completion of a nurse aide program program that is recognized by the Wisconsin Department of Health. Later, you are supposed to qualify a certification exam. CNA certification in Wisconsin helps you get the best jobs and earn handsome salary.

Requirements for Acquiring CNA Licensure in WI

The following requirements must be fulfilled:

1. New Nurse Aide

If your name was not included in the WI Nurse Aide Registry previously, you are required to provide the following documents along with the completed application:

  • Photocopy of the certificate of completion of a CNA Program program, approved by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS).
  • If you are re-taking the portion(s) of the NNAAP examination in which you failed, attach a copy of your score report.

2. Student Nurse or Graduate Nurse

If you are a student nurse or graduate nurse, you are required to provide a separate Student / Graduate Nurse Verification sheet before giving the NNAAP exam. This sheet needs to be approved by the DHS. You can download this verification sheet from the Pearson VUE website, or else you may request one by calling the DHS at (608) 261-8319.

3. Out-of-State Trained Nurse Aide

If you had applied for reciprocity to Wisconsin earlier, but need to take test, provide a copy of your examination approval letter from the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry.

4. Reciprocity

If you hold your CNA license in another state and wish to transfer it to Wisconsin, fulfill the following requirements:

  • Successfully complete 120 hours of nurse aide program that must include 32 clinical hours and your name should be listed on a nurse aide registry in another state.
  • You are a nursing assistant candidate from another state and have completed 120 hours of CNA Program that includes 32 clinical hours.
  • You have successfully completed 120 hours of CNA Program in another state, employed as a CNA for a minimum of 2088 hours in the preceding 24 months and your name is listed on another state’s registry.

Procedure to Obtain CNA License by Examination in WI

You may obtain CNA license in the state of Wisconsin by following the below given steps:

Step 1: Download the examination application using this link:

Step 2: Provide a copy of document that verifies your name, social security number and date of birth such as your passport, current (not expired) driver’s license, employee check stub, social security card, or InteCNAal Revenue Service form. Submit the document along with your examination application.

Step 3: Pay the appropriate processing fee through MasterCard and Visa credit cards.

Step 4: Send the completed application along with the required documents to:

American Red Cross
1804 North Sixth Street,
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17102

Procedure to Obtain CNA License by Reciprocity

The steps for obtaining a CNA license by reciprocity in the state of WI are as follows:

Step 1: The initial step is to download the reciprocity application. Click on the below given link:

Step 2: If you meet the eligibility criteria required for reciprocity, you must fill all the details mentioned in Part I of the application.

Step 3: After filling in essential details, send the completed form to the state registry where you are presently registered or trained as a CNA, in order to get the Part-II of the form completed.

Step 4: The respective registry will return the form back to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services so as to complete the process.

Note: If you are transferring from Colorado, California, North Carolina, Missouri, or South Carolina, send the application after submitting Part II to:

Wisconsin Department of Health Services
Office of Caregiver Quality
P.O. Box 2969,
Madison, Wisconsin 53701

Step 5: Your application will be processed by the Wisconsin Department within a period of 5 to 10 business days of receipt.

Step 6: In case you fulfill all the requisites for placement on the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry, a nurse aide certificate will be mailed to you.

Featured Nursing Schools Near You

Renewal of Nurse Aide License

In order to renew your CNA license, you are required to complete nursing or nursing-related services for pay, which must be performed under the supervision of an LPN or RN, within the past 2 years. Nursing assistants are generally notified 30 days before the expiration date of their license via mail.

You can download the renewal form from the below given link:

After completing all the essential details of the form, return it to the following address:

Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry
Pearson VUE
PO Box 13785
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19101-3785

License Lookup

To search for a CNA license in the state of Wisconsin, use the following link:

You can search for your license using any of the following two options:

  • By Name
    If you are searching via name option, you will require the following details:

    • Last name
    • First name
    • Birth date
  • By Registration Number / Social Security Number
    You will have to enter your registration number or social security number.

Name / Address / Social Security Number Change

Use the following link to download the “Change or Correction Form”, in order to notify the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry of your address, name or social security number correction:

Send the completed form to the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry address mentioned above (Refer Renewal of Nurse Aide License).

Note: If you are requesting a name change or social security number correction, provide a copy of a document verifying the change. You may attach your social security card, driver’s license, etc.


Question 1 – Is there any way I can update my employment eligibility so as to work in federally certified facilities?

Answer – A renewal notice will be mailed to you by the Pearson Vue to your mailing address about 60 days before the end of your 2 years license period. After submitting the renewal form, your status will be updated directly.

Question 2 – CNA license of me and my spouse has been lapsed despite the fact that I was on a military deployment. Is there any way by which I can update my employment eligibility?

Answer – As per the Wisconsin Act 210, the certification of a military service member can be extended from 90 days to 180 days, if the license expired while they were on active duty. This same act is applicable for the service member’s spouse, if the spouse did not work whilst the service member was active on duty. You need to contact the Office of Caregiver Quality via e-mail at or call at (608) 261-8319 in order to renew your certification.

Question 3 – I am planning to move to Colorado. How can I transfer my Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry to another state?

Answer – If your name is presently listed on the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry and you wish to transfer it to any other state’s nurse aide registry, you need to follow the below steps:

  • Ensure that your employment eligibility status is ‘employed’ in federally certified services and it should be displayed on the Nurse Aide Registry of Wisconsin.
  • Contact the respective state you are transferring to and find out the requirements.
  • Complete the application of that state, following all the instructions from the transferring state.